Hey guys, I’m sharing this case study to help you drive more sales during the oncoming Valentine’s Day—which can easily be a mini Black Friday for some of the brands.
So please leave a comment below and give me your feedback if there’s anything you took away from this case study. I’m still aiming at optimizing a perfect promo campaign and I’ll have another case study after this Valentine’s Day, so stay tuned 🙂
Now, without further ado, let’s dive right into it.
Our results in this campaign in a nutshell:
- 282% budget increase
- $78,464.20 in revenue in a single week
- x4.23 Return on the ad spend
Our client sells prepaid travel SIM cards in Australia. When we started working together in late August, they already had experience on the platform, however, their main struggle was to scale to the next level.
With Black Friday coming around the corner, the client needed to find a proper strategy to maximize their profits on Facebook. The issues were coming from the market size and the restrictions on selling outside Australia (since the brand’s selling cards for Australians traveling overseas only).
Pre Facebook Ad Campaign:
As we got our hands on the account in August and we knew that we’ll need some time to prepare the account for scaling, we found this as an opportunity to test different product variations.
We also did in-depth research about the traveling habits of Australians. We wanted to understand how often and where they travel depending on the season. With a lot of help from the client, the data that we’ve collected as well as some trusted 3rd party sources—we identified a couple of regions that people chose as main destinations for their trips in Q4.
Those regions were:
- United States
- New Zealand
But because nothing’s sure until you put it to the test—we started testing those segments with the help of both Ad Budget Optimised and Campaign Budget Optimised campaigns in October.
As you can see from the screenshot above, we tested all of those regions before the black week started and they seemed to work.
To test each region we created separate campaigns with cold interests related to the region and Lookalike Audinences from people who bought a SIM card for exactly that region.
Depending on the performance of each region, and what control we wanted to have over the ad set level, we were choosing to either work with CBO (Campaign Budget Optimised) or ABO (Ad Budget Optimised) on TOF (Top Of Funnel). In the meantime, we set up all the remarketing in ABO campaigns to strictly control display frequency.
Over the course of a month, we were able to verify the potential for all regions that we tested (as you can see in the snap above). So when planning the BFCM campaigns we decided to go as broad as we could while bearing in mind that there were certain market limitations such as targeting an audience made up of people who already bought in the past 60 days.
The idea behind the campaign structure for the BFCM was pretty simple:
- We sell to everyone possible who didn’t interact with the client’s brand
- We promote to people who had interactions with the brand or purchased, excluding orders in the past 7 days. Why? We knew that even though people that bought in the past 90 days have lower chances to convert again, they often travel with their friends and family that would like to buy a SIM card as well. Also, our research told us that a lot of Australians are traveling from January to March so it looked like a good opportunity to sell to them the product as it’d only activate when the card is inserted into their smartphones.
The screenshot above shows the setup pretty well. We had two campaigns – one with open targeting, and another one that remarkets all interactions with the brand (as broad as possible).
When planning these campaigns, we decided to run them through the week with an extended Cyber Monday sale to make sure that we’re reaching everyone.
Having had all campaigns set up and knowing their time duration, we had great chances to convert with high volume and adjust the campaign parameters according to their performance. Plus our data didn’t rely on a single day.
As for the ads we kept it pretty simple. We decided to go with 2 GIFs and a copy that speaks directly about the offer. Short and to the point with no additional frills to distract users from what the offer was about – saving money.
So we started by investing AUD$400 on day one just to understand where we stand and adjust accordingly.
As you can see day one had its ups and downs. While the remarketing campaign ran pretty smoothly, we noticed that the prospecting campaign didn’t deliver a single sale. Initially, we decided to optimize it for traffic to get cheaper results, however, we ended up spending AUD$200 with not much success.
That’s why on day two we switched this campaign from prospecting onto conversions and as you can see the results came pretty fast.
Now, we must also say that during the BFCM campaign we didn’t pause their evergreen campaigns. We did quite the opposite. We actually started pumping big budgets to these campaigns as we knew that the remarketing campaign will capture all people that engaged with their ads in the past year.
On August 27th, we increased the overall ad spend by 42.80% compared to the past day. The trend continued on a daily basis and we had enough time to react to what was happening inside the ad account.
At the end of the sale, we were able to increase the budget by 282% in a single week while the revenue grew by 326%. This meant we closed the BFCM’s campaign with a revenue of $78,464.20 made in one week while we only spent $19,138.44.
- 1250 SIM Cards sold
- Generated $78,464.20 with x4.23 ROAS
- Lots of data acquired
Subscribe for newsletter
* You will receive the latest news and updates!